Fifth disease is just a virus and he's fine. The rash spread to his entire face and ears. Then it moved down his arms and a little onto his torso. Then back up to his face. I think it's pretty much gone by now. Unfortunately, when he was contagious (and who knows when that was - it can incubate anywhere from 4-28 days), mom and dad got it. Most adults had it as a child (it's like chicken pox - once you've had it, you'll never get it again). But apparently Brady and I never had it as children. Brady's been stuffy and achy. On Friday, I felt like I'd been hit by a truck and run over by a steamroller. I ached all over. I had never felt so tired. And my joints all hurt. I also got a slight runny nose, which was just enough to turn into a sinus infection! Oh joy! I still ache and am tired, but nothing like Friday. What a strange virus.Wednesday, November 19, 2008
Fifth Disease
Never heard of it? Me neither - not until last week, that is. On Saturday, Gibson's cheek was a little red. I figured it was from swimming. Then on Sunday it was worse. I thought it was turning into excema. When I picked him up from school on Monday, his cheek looked like it had been slapped! I asked him if anybody at school had hit him. When we woke him up Tuesday morning for his birthday (that's what I'm doing in the picture below), you can see how horrible his cheek looked by then. So the poor guy had to go to the doctor on his birthday. I had never heard of fifth disease! But if any of you are worried about exposure at the birthday party - don't be. By the time the rash appears, it is no longer contagious (as proof - they let him go to school)! There can be a few early signs: low-grade fever, slight runny nose, but Gibson didn't exhibit any of these.
Fifth disease is just a virus and he's fine. The rash spread to his entire face and ears. Then it moved down his arms and a little onto his torso. Then back up to his face. I think it's pretty much gone by now. Unfortunately, when he was contagious (and who knows when that was - it can incubate anywhere from 4-28 days), mom and dad got it. Most adults had it as a child (it's like chicken pox - once you've had it, you'll never get it again). But apparently Brady and I never had it as children. Brady's been stuffy and achy. On Friday, I felt like I'd been hit by a truck and run over by a steamroller. I ached all over. I had never felt so tired. And my joints all hurt. I also got a slight runny nose, which was just enough to turn into a sinus infection! Oh joy! I still ache and am tired, but nothing like Friday. What a strange virus.
Fifth disease is just a virus and he's fine. The rash spread to his entire face and ears. Then it moved down his arms and a little onto his torso. Then back up to his face. I think it's pretty much gone by now. Unfortunately, when he was contagious (and who knows when that was - it can incubate anywhere from 4-28 days), mom and dad got it. Most adults had it as a child (it's like chicken pox - once you've had it, you'll never get it again). But apparently Brady and I never had it as children. Brady's been stuffy and achy. On Friday, I felt like I'd been hit by a truck and run over by a steamroller. I ached all over. I had never felt so tired. And my joints all hurt. I also got a slight runny nose, which was just enough to turn into a sinus infection! Oh joy! I still ache and am tired, but nothing like Friday. What a strange virus.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
i had it when i was young too.
glad everyone is starting to feel better!
It's the worst, scary stuff...and really hard to pronounce together with disease...too many s's!! Glad everyone is on the recovery path :)
Sounds like Shingles--I know your pain! Only I have had these Shingles going on 4 weeks, now! Poor guys, I had never heard of this disease before--how strange! I don't think any of you kids had it as children. Weird!
Post a Comment